Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

koko black.


Koko Black's in town! Hailing from Melbourne, the chocolate shop has finally opened up its doors in Adelaide Arcade and I was super excited to try it out.  Uber chic and glossy-looking, the shop has a similar vibe to Steven ter Horst on Rundle Street with a black and gold accented interior design.  The shop has two levels for its coffee and dessert shop and a separate section for individual chocolate buying, so there's a bit of something for everyone.


Dessert Degustation: $24.00
The dessert menu isn't long and seeing as my fellow eaters and I wanted to try a bit of everything, the dessert degustation was the clear choice.  We didn't try any drinks this time round but the drink options look really yummy.  

Chocolate Ice-Cream with Chocolate Soil; Hazelnut Praline Delice 
First up was the chocolate ice-cream and 'soil'.  Although smooth and creamy, the ice-cream was slightly underwhelming.  That's not to say that it wasn't delicious or that I wouldn't eat a whole tub by myself, but it wasn't as chocolatey as I had hoped.  Sara Lee Ultra Chocolate ice-cream is probably the preferred choice.  The soil was definitely interesting.  The texture is eerily similar to dried dirt but luckily (or hopefully?) tasted much nicer.  

Next was the hazelnut praline delice - a hazelnut mousse with dark chocolate creme, hazelnut dacquoise and praline crisp.  This was really sweet, almost to the point where I could feel the sugar drilling holes in my teeth.  Nonetheless, this was one of my favourites.  I am in love with the crunchy hazelnut base and the velvety texture and flavour of the mousse.  

Raspberry Chocolate Mousse; Chocolate Alchemy Cake
I'm generally not a huge fan of raspberry flavoured foods, or raspberries in general, but this wasn't too bad. Although the mousse is completely covered in a raspberry coating, there wasn't as strong a fruity taste to it as I thought there might be.  As always, the mousse was rich and super smooth and an absolute delight to eat.  I love mousse.

The chocolate alchemy cake got mixed reactions.  I quite liked it because it was surprisingly creamy and smooth, not spongey or crumbly like cakes normally are.  There's also a layer of chocolate creme on top of the cake which made it even creamier.  

Belgian Chocolate Mousse; Salted Caramel Delice (not part of degustation)
Ahh, good old Belgian chocolate mousse.  There's not much to say about this one except it was just as mousse should be - rich, smooth and chocolatey.  More soil with this one.

The caramel delice was all caramel: caramel mousse, caramelised white chocolate brulee and a chewy caramel centre.  The caramel sauce is strongly salted and we made the mistake of pouring almost all of it on, resulting in the almost painful yet sweetly satisfying task of finishing it off.  A word to the wise: take small bites and no one gets hurt. 

Salted Caramel Delice: $10.50
Koko Black didn't disappoint and I can't wait to come back and try out their drinks.  The Iced Caramelised Coconut is calling my name and it would be rude not to respond.

Koko Black on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment